Why Mandarin Chinese?
- Mandarin is the most widely spoken first language in the world. Nearly every one in five people speak Mandarin as their first language.
- China is a country of growing global importance, with rapidly increasing trade, manufacturing
and cultural links to the rest of the world.
- Chinese, with its vast number of unique characters and tones, is best learned as early as possible.
- China is a window into a culture with 5000 years of history very different from that of our western culture, thus offering students a broader cultural understanding.
- Fluency in Mandarin offers career advantages both nationally and abroad.
Watch this video from Asia Society, in which educators and politicians weigh in on the global advantage of young Americans studying Chinese.